| Melinda Halliwell
Destined One / Charmed One
| Biographical information |
|Name:||Prudence Melinda "Mel" Halliwell|
|Born:||April 7th, 2007|
|Marital:||Dating Liam Thomas|
|Occupation:||Assistant Manager at Halliwell´s|
|Height:||5' 10" (1,78 m)|
|Hair color:|| Brown (originally)|
|Magic and Powers|
|Portrayed by:||Blake Lively|
|Seasons:||1, 2, 3, 4|
|First seen:||1x01 Something Wicca This Way Comes...Again...Again|
- "Yes, I am. I also am the comprehensive one. The shoulder person. And the only thing I asked for was honesty. I think I have the right to get that from those who are my family."
- —Melinda about herself in Darkness is Here
Since the day she was born, Melinda was also destined to become a Charmed One and a Destined One. She was born with the power of Molecular Immobilization. She and her family live in 1329 Prescott Street, San Francisco. Melinda is best friends with Prue and Tamora. She is dating Damon Morgan. She´s been in love with him since younger. Melinda works with his mother at Halliwell´s. She deals with the managing thing.
In Season 1, Melinda and her family had to deal with new and old demons showing up. At first, she thought that she was an ordinary witch. But during the season, she started discovering that she doesn't need hybrid powers to be a powerful witch as her brothers and cousins. After the family friend Damon, returned to San Francisco, Melinda tried everything to make him like her, and she succeeded. Both started dating in secret, but their relationship was found out by Wyatt who had a bad reaction to it. Luckily, Wyatt could understand and accepted their relationship.
Melinda is described as a sweet and kind girl. Sometimes, she can be sarcastic and humorous. Melinda took some traits from her mother and father. Friendly and energetic. Caring and fun. She doesn't get mad easily and tries to see the good side of the situations. Responsible but not bossy. Despite not being crazy about demons´ hunting, she likes the fight. She has a small inferiority complex towards her cousin Prue.
BackgroundMelinda was born on April 7th, 2007 in San Francisco, California to Piper Halliwell and Leo Wyatt, a witch and a mortal (at the time), respectively. Since the day she was born, Melinda was destined to become a Charmed One and a Destined One.
Like her siblings, Mel had a normal childhood without demons always around. Being the only one without a teleporting power made her being protected by her family. But when she was a teenager she got tired of being considered weak and told her family that not being able to orb or beam doesn't make her weaker.
She went to school and high school along with her cousins Prue, Tamora, and Pandora. All four were called the Halliwell coven at school. Their colleagues were far from imagining what they really were.In high school, Melinda decided to change her hair color. This didn't make his mother happy, but she did it anyway and keeps that color till present. When her cousin Prue and Tamora decided to become cheerleaders, Melinda decided to become one too, not because she liked it but because she could meet boys. But she was not the classic cheerleader girl.
Since Melinda was a teenager, she is love with Damon, but she never told him about it. Prue was the only one who knew about her secret. Melinda thought that Damon was in love with Prue because he was always saying that he wanted to marry Prue. Damon only did that because he wanted to piss off Wyatt, once he suspected that Wyatt was in love with Prue.
In college, Melinda chose to follow accounting because she wanted to help her mother in the restaurant but what she really loves is cooking. It doesn't mean that she didn't enjoy the years in college, otherwise, she loved it. Melinda started working at Halliwell´s since very young age. Once she finished college, she was officially hired as the Assistant Manager.
Throughout Destined Series
Caring, sweet, kind, fun, energetic, friendly, the heart of the family, humorous. Melinda can be sarcastic at times. Very honest and sincere. Melinda has a sweet personality and is not easy to see her mad. She is very responsible. She also isn't a fan of radical sports but is not afraid to try it. She has an optimistic view on this and always tries to see the good side of a situation.
Melinda is not crazy about demons fighting but likes to be in the field. Sometimes, she has an inferiority complex towards her cousin Prue but accepts that they are two different people and she learns she´s powerful on her own way. However, as the series progresses Melinda develops an inferiority complex towards her family, seeing herself to be weaker than the other Destined Ones.
After being a Shadow Witch and dealing with the loss of her brother Melinda develops a darker edge to her. Her optimistic view starts to shake, and she doesn't always see the brighter side of things.
When it comes to dating, Melinda is not the dating type but likes to be in love. She will only be tied to someone when she finds Mr. Right.
- Peter Ross: Melinda went out with Peter for an unspecified amount of time, however, the pair realized they were better as friends, and mutually ended their romantic relationship. However, they have remained friends since, and Peter even advised her on what to do about her feelings for Damon Morgan, telling her to reveal these feelings to Damon and see how he feels about it.
After graduating from UCBerkeley with a degree in Accounting, Melinda started working with her mother at Halliwell´s.
Physical AppearanceMelinda is naturally brunette but when she was 15 she changed her hair color to blond and remains blonde since then. She has long hair.
Melinda has a very casual/casual chic and simple clothing style on a day-to-day basis, but to attend parties or events she prefers to wear more revealing clothes as tops and short skirts and dresses. Once in a while, she wears sexy clothes.
Her make-up is simple, matching, almost all the time, her skin color and her blue eyes. For parties or events, she uses a little bit more makeup and red lipsticks.
Melinda was named after her Aunt Prue and Melinda Warren.Prudence is of Latin origin and means Caution and Discretion. A very common name in the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries.
Melinda is of Latin origin and means Sweet.
Halliwell is of Old English origin that means Lives by the holy spring.
- One of the four basic powers is the ability to cast spells and perform rituals.
- One of the four basic powers is the ability to brew potions containing magical properties.
- One of the four basic powers is the ability to locate a person or object by using a crystal, a map and a something it requires the use of other tools.
- One of the four basic powers, is the ability to see and commune with spirits of the dead.
- The freezing power is the ability to slow down molecules to the point where they move so slowly that the object or person seem completely frozen. Melinda has full control of this power and it´s stronger than her brother´s freezing power because the object or person stays frozen for longer.
Charmed One and Destined One Status
- The ability to survive and lethal attacks and be resistant to injuries.
- Clowns: Melinda is terrified of clowns. As a child, she was never amused by clowns and wanted nothing to do with them. When Barbas forced her to confront this fear, Melinda - with the help of Prue, managed to laugh at the clown and overcome her fear.
Notes & Trivia
- Melinda was named after her aunt, Prudence Halliwell, and Melinda Warren;
- Out of all the Charmed Ones' daughters, Melinda is the second oldest. She was supposed to be born before Prue, but her cousin came to world two months before time;
- Melinda has blond hair, but she was born with dark hair. This shows a resemblance to her aunt Prudence, who also had dark hair but turned into a blonde sometime in the alternate future in the Season 2 episode Morality Bites of Charmed;
- Melinda uses her Molecular Immobilization power in a very similar way to her mother´s;
- Melinda is an Aries;
- Melinda always had a crush on her brother´s best friend, Damon. She always thought he actually was in love with her eldest cousin, Prue because he was always saying that he would marry Prue some day. This was actually some shared joke between Prue and Damon. Damon used to joke about it because he was suspicious that Wyatt loved Prue;
- Prue pushes Melinda to tell to Damon what she feels about him;
- Melinda got to know that even when Damon looked at her as his friend´s sister when he came back to San Francisco, that changed;
- Melinda, as well as Prue and Tamora, inherit the Power of Three from her mother and aunts;
- Melinda is the only ordinary witch after her mother and aunts. She sometimes looks upset for not having a transportation power, but when she changes powers with her aunt Prudence she´s actually glad she doesn't have the Orbing power because it makes her feel dizzy;
- Melinda borrows her cousin Prue´s ring to teleport herself;
- She is not afraid to go and hunt demons alone. When an extra power is not necessary, she does it but herself;
- Melinda is terrified of clowns - they never made her laugh and she didn't think they were silly;
- Melinda is among the first two people to overcome her fear of clowns in 3x13;
- Prue and Melinda´s personality traits are based on the creator´s personality;
- People call her "Mel". Damon sometimes calls her "Honey". The word "Honey" translated to Portuguese is "Mel". This was made on purpose by the author, as she's Portuguese.
- Charmed Wiki (Powers definitions)